Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Hardest Secret to Keep

My aliyah process has been extremely unique. I made my decision in early June, started the process mid-June, and planned to be in Israel by August or September. Most people take at least six months, including a pilot trip to make sure that they are making the right decision. In my decision to get everything done in two and a half or three months, I became obsessed. Most days all I did was work out, work, do paperwork, eat, and sleep. I couldn't talk to most people about it in case anything went wrong. I alienated my friends from college that I swore to keep in touch with because it broke my heart I wouldn't see them again and they had no idea. I spoke to my mom, my dad, my best friend, and the occasional coworker (what did they care? I wasn't going to see them again anyway if I went to school). I went back and forth on a lot of things regarding army prep, ulpan, where to stay after Petach Tikva, and so on. Every program sounded better than the last, and, as you can see, I still don't know exactly where I'm going for ulpan, but at least I'm down to a couple options. A few days ago I decided to officially tell my boss to keep me on through September 25th (she was ecstatic, and so is my bank account!) and leave on the October 7 flight. It was very sudden that I made this decision to push back my date, but I don't regret it at all, just like my decision to make aliyah in record time. I now all of a sudden have time to hang out with friends and enjoy nights out before THEY leave for college. I don't have to jam-pack my weeks with calculating how many dinners I spend with each parent to make sure I am using my time with my family wisely. I will have time to pack up my life, both material and interpersonal, and make sure my aliyah is as smooth as it can possibly go. Now, you may be screaming, "But October is also REALLY SOON!" Yes, from now. From June, not so much. In two or three weeks, I will be cleared for aliyah and I will have completed absolutely everything I need for the Jewish Agency and Nefesh B'Nefesh (they truly make it easy compared to the alternative). I needed to make sure I was going and when before I told everyone, as I have a tendency to make wild decisions and change my mind before following through. I needed to make sure I was dedicated to leaving NOW. I realize a lot of my friends are leaving any day now for school, and once school starts my company will be high schoolers and Vandy students (not that I'm complaining), but it's not just about friends. I mentioned in my earlier post that my dad is sick, so I'm happy to have more time with him (we don't know how serious it is this time, but he's still my dad!). I'm having dinner with him and both my siblings tonight! My sister started high school TODAY so I can't wait to see how that went. Hopefully my staying longer will make things easier for her. She was very nervous last night and this morning, so I can't wait to be big sister for the next two months to help her gain confidence and give me all the juicy gossip! And, of course, my mom is happy that we have more time together. We even went on a date the other night, which was so much fun! The closer the date comes, the more important family becomes. I hope all of them can come to the airport in October to see me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment