Sunday, August 4, 2013

College vs. Israel

The most common assumption when I first mention I'm not going back to school is that I'm pregnant. Honestly, I don't know why. I don't have a boyfriend (haven't had one in a while, actually), and most of these people are ones that work in the same building as me so they know I'm at the JCC all. the. time. and I have gone out a total of three times this whole summer (twice in the past week) with the exception of staff outings, dinners with my dad, and nights spent at my best friend's house. They simultaneously know my life but think they don't at all because teenagers aren't supposed to be boring like they [adults] are. But when you're preparing to move to the other side of the world, you take on the kind of life that is the best form of birth control. I spent two months working, working out, doing research, and paperwork. But I digress, I've already posted about this, I just needed to rant about the pregnancy assumptions (am I getting fat?) and now I'll get back to talking about school.
I seriously loved being at UTK. I had lots of friends, an amazing roommate, and a good support network. Yes, I kind of screwed up my grades, but my advisor told me not to worry. Everyone has that semester or two that sets them back a bit. I wasn't worried. I knew I would eventually find a major, work hard, graduate, and get a job in my field. Just like everyone else. But if there's one thing I have always known about myself is that I'm not like everyone else. I have been told that I am unique, and I like to believe that.
Moving to Israel is beyond being unique, but when you think about it, it's a way of abandoning a mildly interesting life somewhere in Tennessee for a few more years of adventure, only to wind up leading a mildly interesting life somewhere in Israel. It's not about the adventure, but it does have quite an appeal. I've explained my true reasons for making Aliyah, but now I get to talk about some of the perks (and downfalls, we'll get to those) of moving to Israel (the adventures, the new friends, the new families, the stories).

P.S. I said on Facebook that yesterday I would produce a bucket-list of things to do before leaving the States, but I've been slacking. I'll make it this week and post it here.

P.P.S. Yes, these posts are much shorter than the first. I haven't gotten too many comments/questions yet, so send them in and I'll have more juicy material :)

P.P.P.S. I start moving things into my mom's attic and sorting through all my belongings tomorrow! Now THAT will be juicy! I'll take pics of all the crazy stuff I find and y'all can laugh at my weird childhood belongings.

Update: I realize I could talk some more about college vs. Israel, but I'm pretty sleepy (yes, I get sleepy at 11 pm when I closed at work), so bear with me. Maybe I'll get my act together and update it properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment