Monday, August 5, 2013

Finding Toiletries (Sorry, Nemo)

I'm going a little crazy. I did some unpacking of things from my college dorm (yes, this summer has been THAT busy), and went through five boxes. I sorted every little thing. I have one almost-full box of things to be put in the attic, four boxes of things for my mom and sister to have, sell, or hide, and a bunch of stuff lying on the ground that will be coming with me. I think I will put them in boxes for now (probably one box worth), but I will be going to an army surplus store this week for my new luggage. I've decided to bring one photo of my brother and me. It's from Cleveland when I was probably three years old, and lives in a frame I made in preschool in Ohio. Thanks to technology, I will have the other photos to look at, but I feel the need to bring at least this one.
I also found probably three dozen goodie bags that I had forgotten about from a time when my roommate and I attended a special Target event for welcoming back UT students. The bags included coupons (expired because we never went to Target after that), mini Spongebob Squarepants hand sanitizer, mini Neutrogena moisturizer, Emergen-C pink lemonade packets, and mini Neutrogena men's face wash. I organized everything (including some other freebies I had picked up over the course of my year at school), and made goodie bags of toiletries for my new host family! Eliana is getting the moisturizer, a tube of mascara (I don't even know if she wears mascara, but it's the thought that counts), and a box of floss, and Shmu is getting the men's face wash, a packet of mini Axe products, and some floss. Knowing that some of these things are more expensive in Israel, I figured they will be delighted! Altogether, it's probably at LEAST six month's worth of moisturizer and face wash. I'm keeping the hand sanitizer and Emergen-C for myself because I'll be adjusting and I really don't want to get sick! I also found an extra toothbrush, a FULL tube of my favorite toothpaste, extra floss, and first aid kits galore! I am so glad I was so proactive in my freshman year without ever needed all that crap. Now, Eliana, Shmu, and I can enjoy these FREE luxuries for a little while. I never thought I would be so excited to be the owner of three dozen hand sanitizers and a tube of toothpaste.
I also found loose leaf paper, composition books, and binders for my sister to use! Her first full day of high school is winding down as we speak. I'm keeping the sticky notes and flashcards for ulpan.
I also found a messenger bag from Tzanchanim (paratroopers) that a friend had given my dad, who passed it down to me. I'll put that in the attic as I'm going to a place where I don't want to be walking around with vintage wings. I'll have my own bags and pins and shirts when I join the IDF to show off!
Considering it's only 3 PM (or 15:00) and I haven't yet left the house, it's been a crazy day. Ana (aforementioned best friend) is doing her summer reading on the couch while I write this. Our A/C is broken so the doors and windows are open and you can hear birds chirping. Luckily, as a lifeguard, I'm used to heat which will benefit me when I'm in Israel, but my mom is miserable! We're getting it fixed today, thankfully.
Every day gets harder and harder as there are more people to whom I need to say goodbye. At least Ana doesn't start school until Wednesday, and even then she's still in high school so we'll see each other. I'm making friends at Vanderbilt, which is lucky! A lot of them spend time abroad, usually in Europe, so they're already talking about "swinging by" Israel to see me. The Aliyah/IDF survival blog I'm reading now was written by a guy from London. It's kind of frustrating because his family comes to Israel all the time. Being from not just the US, but from Nashville, TN, my family will be coming once a year, if I'm lucky. It's hard to imagine what that will be like. If he had such a hard time when he first moved (2009), I have to prepare myself for the worst. I'm going to miss my family so much...glad I have the time that I do now.

1 comment: