Thursday, August 8, 2013

Some Very Special Teachers

Today I saw my doctor for the last time, who said she would write my clearance letter! I know I'm healthy and all that, but everything is a step. I saw Hadar and had a conversation with her almost primarily in Hebrew (I don't know the word for "paperwork"). The main reason I don't practice with her or Yafa more often is because other people are always around and I've heard it's not socially acceptable to speak, for instance, Hebrew, if not everyone in the conversation speak Hebrew. I've texted Yafa in Hebrew, but my grammar was way off. I hope I will pick up quickly, even before my ulpan! Actually, here's a shout out to all the Hebrew teachers I've had over the years who helped me not only to develop my ability to read, speak, and write in Hebrew, but consequently also helped feed that love for Israel that is bringing me on this journey! I especially want to thank three very special people who all happen to be teachers (everything you know can be traced back to something a teacher told you!).

First, Evelyn Koch. Mrs. Koch, I can honestly say that it's all your fault. Through all my years at Akiva, we had a blast together. Dancing, singing, learning, and praying (okay, that last one wasn't so fun for me at the time) all in Hebrew made all the difference. But the one thing that stands out is my sixth grade Israel History class. Learning about the original chayalim and how Israel was born was fascinating to me at the time, but is now part of MY history. When I was at Har Herzl this summer, I had the opportunity to sing Eli Eli to Hanah Senesch's grave, a song you taught me, fulfilling a dream I always had. A few days before that, though, in Tel Aviv, we went to the converted art museum where David Ben-Gurion gave his famous speech and Israel declared independence. When they played the tape so we could close our eyes and pretend we were there, HaTikva came on. It was the first time I sang HaTikva in Israel, and I felt so connected in that moment. And yet, I stood out, singing the harmony you taught me all those years ago, bringing a bit of Nashville to the place that I will soon call home. It was so beautiful that even the manliest of all the men in that room had tears welling up in their eyes.

Second, Yafa Baer! I know you taught me when I was little, but what I learned when we were teaching together stuck more. You taught me how to teach about Israel, which is not something I take lightly. Having to explain to my non-Jewish friends about why I am moving is easier when you can teach them at such a fundamental level (hey, we only taught first graders!) about why Israel is important to not only the Jewish people but Jewish people individually. You keep me laughing and caffeinated and I am your scribe and translator!

And Revital Ganzi, my Hebrew instructor during my year at UT. She not only taught me Hebrew and taught me to keep loving Israel, she also helped develop my idea to serve in the IDF, and, beyond that, in general taking me under her wing. I had so much fun at Shabbat dinners where everyone was either Israeli or Chabad and spoke Hebrew, allowing me to practice for a whole night in a purely social setting. Getting coffee and helping with the KJDS musical were things that let me know that I had a Jewish support system in Knoxville, even if I didn't fully realize the source at the time.

Whenever any of you spoke to me about Israel, told me about coffee shops, favorite cities, or showed me pictures, you made me fall in love with a place that then was so far away. So this is my official thank you to all three of you, and an open invitation to come visit me in Israel (Yafa, I hope you finally make the move next year like you say!). Maybe it'll be soon enough for you to see me in uniform! Nothing would make me prouder than to be living proof of your impact on the world and the State of Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment