Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Confirmed Flight!

The last few days haven't been interesting individually, but collectively are very exciting!
When I decided to make aliyah, I figured I needed to find a support system of olim to help answer some questions and maybe help me find a job in the future. Of course, I went to Facebook. I am now a member of the following groups: Nefesh B'Nefesh, Aliyah Survival, Nefesh B'Nefesh- Jobs in Israel, Anglos in Israel, and Anglo-Israel Job Network. At first, it seemed like a lot of spam. But the other day I posted a question about contacting Kibbutz Yagur, and it ended with one person straight up calling the kibbutz for me and informing me that their office is currently closed and I'll be able to contact them in two weeks. Also, I got my passport photos taken! They are mostly for ID cards and Immigration Booklets, but still exciting. Most importantly...I CONFIRMED MY FLIGHT YESTERDAY! Yes, I am officially leaving the United States on October 7th! And, best of all, arriving in Ben-Gurion as an Olah Chadashah (New immigrant) on October 8th, 2013!! I am beyond excited. I realized the other day that once I say goodbye to some of these people, the next time I will see them I will have an IDF uniform (and for some I will be wearing that uniform, such as when I visit my high school and Akiva). I have been thinking about what will happen when I come home to visit. I like to think I will be bombarded with Facebook messages and Viber calls, but I do know that life will have continued for everyone. Things will not be the same as I left them. My sister will be driving, friends will have moved permanently to their college's cities, teachers will have moved to other schools or retired, some may have even forgotten about me altogether. And that's okay. Their lives do not revolve around me or a visit from me. I do hope that if I contact them asking for a cup of coffee while I'm in town, we'll be able to grab lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment