Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Next Year in Jerusalem

Five weeks to go.
I'm still waiting on my visa, but this week was all about buying things without spending too much money! As a lifeguard I currently make minimum wage but I still need lots before I leave. I have become a master at finding what I need for as little money as possible. This is a really good skill for when I'm on an ulpan or army salary, but it will be a lot harder when it's all in Hebrew. I went to the army surplus store yesterday to get my giant duffel bags in which I will put EVERYTHING that I am bringing with me (I'm allowed three 150 lb. bags. I figure duffles weigh less than suitcases so I can bring more). I decided to go for the used bags and ended up getting them for more than half off! I also found a dress for Rosh HaShana (which starts in a few hours) for 75% off. Today I went to Plato's closet and got a jacket and some accessories to go with it and a bathing suit (I only have one and I figure I'm moving to the beach) all for 20 bucks! I know I sound completely money and shopping obsessed, but being able to survive on a tight budget is important to me and I made some pretty impressive buys this week.
Speaking of Rosh HaShana, I am so excited for the next couple of days! Tonight is dinner with the family, and then partway through services I'm going to pick up my friend from Vandy so he can join us after his class. I know that it's going to be even crazier than when I had to answer questions about college, so I'm prepared to face the entire congregation one at a time, explaining over and over that I'm moving to Israel. Beyond that, I decided to direct them here. That's what it's for, right?!? Mostly I am in disbelief that next year I will be spending the High Holy Days in Israel!
Anyway, I am recovering from strep and still feeling a bit miserable from working and running around and getting stuff done! Time to rest up before the chag!

P.S. 8/31 Vols v. APSU 45-0
Vols are 1-0!

No comments:

Post a Comment