Saturday, July 26, 2014

Mechinat Lochamot (Female Fighters' Preparation)

Last week, as I mentioned, I went to the Bakum. I ended up going on Wednesday (when I found out I got into Totchanim) and then again Thursday (when I switched my uniform and boots), but being sent home at the end of the day. I got an extra vaccination (required for combat soldiers) and met some of the commanders. After, I went home and enjoyed my weekend on the kibbutz, at the pool and sleeping.
Sunday, I made my way down to my new base in the south. There is not much to tell except there is a lot of sand and we are just girls right now. The first few weeks of us being there is like a prep for the female combat soldiers so we're more on par with the boys when they arrive for training. It's very weird being around Israelis and at 20 I am the oldest soldier right now!



Since we are on the training base for Totchanim, of course there are practice ranges. We are slowly getting used to hearing BOOMs periodically. Last week was just fun because we hung out, learned about Totchanim, and prepped our gear (I have a vest and helmet that are just my size!). We are also doing a lot of exercise. We run every day, in addition to at least one other activity. It's army tradition to do push-ups before each meal, but we convinced our commanders to let us practice rope-climbing instead. It's actually a lot of fun to just hang off the ropes! We also practiced an obstacle course, and I didn't do very well for most of it, but I did jump over a wall. My friends and I are going to be doing a lot of push-ups together because it's mainly the arm-strength exercises we have trouble with.
We are being monitored because their selection process has already started. We can be told that we aren't fit for Totchanim or even combat if they decide. A bunch of girls have already quit, and I think it's a shame, but the army is what you make it. If they believe they won't have a good time there, there's no way they will succeed. Most of these girls are going to make it all the way to the end, and I hope I'll be finishing with them!
I was completely convinced we were closing Shabbat, but we went home for the weekend on Thursday! I wasn't feeling well so I slept most of the weekend and hung out with my family and their new dog, except for Thursday night when my friends got married. There were a lot of empty tables because they didn't know how many people would be able to come due to the reserve draft.
It's really cool watching all of my friends in Tzanchanim (paratroopers), Nachal, Golani, Kfir, (ground soldiers) and so on, doing their training and knowing that I will be doing the same things in a couple of weeks (and have already started some of it). Totchanim is the most like those units, except they are closed to girls. I am so happy with my choice and with my unit, I cannot wait to start my real training!



Dancing bubble wrap popping party

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment