Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Shavuot

After the ceremony, we returned to base. We went deep into our Hebrew classes, and began to obtain more privileges now that tironut is officially over, even though we were still learning about a few things here and there (I absolutely loved our unit of first aid right before our tekes, and even did some practical tutoring with my tzevet). We had another Yom Sidurim, but this one was for each of us to do on our own. I had a lot to get done, so I left early Thursday morning. I am trying to get my American driver's license switched over, but upon arrival to the DMV, they told me I didn't have the right paperwork. Fortunately, I also learned that I can drive with my American license until it expires when I turn 21, but I still have three years from when I made aliyah to switch it over, expired or not. When I got back to the kibbutz, still in uniform, I decided to surprise my ulpan teachers and say hi. They were administering the final exam that afternoon, and I also wanted to see the ulpanistim and wish them luck. I got there in time to sign cards, even! I also surprised my little brother and visit him in the gan. They were headed to the dairy to meet some cows before Shavuot (a holiday where traditionally dairy products are eaten). I went with them, and we had so much fun with the cows and calfs, but not with the smell! On their way back, I decided I should probably get a shower and a nap. I gave him a big hug and kiss and promised him I would come over for dinner.

Cows are one of the only animals that say the same thing around the world- MOO
Sunday we returned to base, and prepped for yet another short week. We took our final tironut written test on Monday, and there were some things I was pretty sure I got wrong, so I was happily surprised when I got 97%! We also took Hebrew tests, which were pretty hard. We'll get the results next week. We also learned more about Zionism, especially Zionist women. There was a speaker that came in to give us a quick run-down of some of Israel's coolest women and why they are important. They've started this unit with us because we are one of a few purely female pleugot in the whole army, and it's pretty special that we can easily take a course on Zionist women and female Israelis that changed the world. Thursday, we are going to Yad Vashem (Holocaust museum) and Har Herzl (largest/most important military cemetery in Israel) in Jerusalem, so we also learned some about the Holocaust (we already learned about Theodore Herzl).
On Monday morning, I took a bit of a dive on the concrete, so I've got some bandages on my hands and left leg, but let's hope that'll be the worst of my army injuries!
When we were released on Tuesday morning, I had to stay an extra half hour. Last week, my hair tie fell out while I was running to the chet, and I had to tie it back up. A few seconds after time was up, I was finishing up, but M showed up and saw me moving. So I got in trouble for that, but it wasn't too bad. I still got home by nine, and had a nice long nap before the kibbutz Shavuot ceremony. There was a parade with floats for all the different parts of the kibbutz, lots of dances and singing, and a show of the first tilling for the season. Kids had crowns made of flowers and lots of people were wearing white. We got to see all the babies from the past year. During my sister's dance, my brother was standing in the front and refused to sit down. We tried to grab him and tell him to sit, but we only got him to move aside. And then, during my kibbutz mom's dance, this little baby was standing by me and grabbing my hand. So I grabbed both and got him to dance along. All of a sudden, he swings his leg over my lap and sits down! Everyone around me was laughing so hard, but not as hard as when I turned to his mom and asked his name. After a couple minutes, he gets up and sits down on my friend's lap next to me. We were all just hysterical, but he was so cute! Only on the kibbutz things like that can happen.
There was a parade of all the different components of the kibbutz

Some first and second graders got to ride in the back

All the babies born this year


My sister doing a dance with her classmates

My kibbutz mom also dances! I was totally surprised by this

Sheffy got in on the dancing action


They started to work on the soil a bit right there so we could watch

Climbing on tractors
Lasagna, cheesecake, coffee, and great people to finish off the night
It was a great holiday, but things are about to sober up pretty quickly. This morning, I'm headed out for Jerusalem to meet up with everyone for our tours of Yad Vashem and Har Herzl. It's going to be pretty tough emotionally, but I think it'll be alright if we support each other. And honestly, after a month, I think I can expect that from these girls that I've gotten to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment